Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Everybody Learned Something


The last five days I spent in San Diego at the USJA Board of Directors meeting, followed by the USJA Junior Nationals, followed by the USJA/ Judo Forum camp.

Some people learned that you need to lock the person's arm AGAINST your body when you do an armbar, then rotate toward his head and back to a 180 degree position.

Since it was six hours each day of judo, the little ones under 10 got a bit tired. At one point, Judo Forum originator Neil Ohlenkamp took them outside and had them draw a picture of what they learned at judo camp. My favorite was the little girl who drew a picture of girls on the mat doing Kiss A Gatame. (You guys get your minds out of the gutter.)

Favorite quotes:

About a rather too pompous person at the board meeting ....
"When I first met that guy, I thought he had pretty good ideas. Then, I found out that he didn't invent judo, Kano did, and I wasn't too impressed with him any more."

"That Grandpa Pedro guy isn't as scary as he wants you to think."

"Me and my friend were talking and we decided that after this camp we like judo more and we want to do it more."

1 comment:

George said...

Sounds like a great time.