Brief pause while you look for Urbana on Google maps. Okay, back now? Good.
Here's the details, or deets as my young people would call it:
Kokushi Midwest Judo
122 W. Main St
Urbana, IL 61821
Friday, October 13, 8 -10 pm
I'm going to discuss two things I know fairly well - armbars and teaching judo to teenagers.
Most judo clubs around the country have a large proportion of children 12 and under, a small number of adults 35 and older and an even smaller number of teenagers and young adults. The exceptions to that tend to be clubs focused on national and international competition.
Gompers Judo is all students 12-17 years old and always has been, because we are housed at a middle school.
The first part of the clinic will be
- A couple of conditioning ideas
- A couple of games
- Teaching basics without getting banged up
The second part of the clinic will be:
- Armbars from different positions
- Transition to armbars
- Combinations with armbars
The third, very short part, will be on organizing to maintain interest
- How teenagers are not little kids
- Using assistant instructors, both adults and teens
- Extras - team dinners, trips and the box of things