Monday, September 17, 2018

Supporting Judo by Making It Okay to Quit, Part 2

When I was in my teens and twenties, I realized there would be a day when I couldn’t compete any more and I expected that none of the rest of my life could possibly be as good as my competitive years. Other people competed to a much later age than I did but my knee was hanging together by a thread. I finally had a total knee replacement when I was 51 and my doctor said I could not put it off any longer.

So, I was done with competition after several knee surgeries, with many more in my future, after three national championships, three US Open gold medals, one world championships and some other stuff (as Lanny Clark would affectionately say, “you’re the bitch who would consider winning the Panamerican Games as some other stuff you did”).

Contrary to my expectations, life without judo was fine most of the time. I married a man I loved, had two more kids, got a Ph.D., had a good career, a few good careers, actually, but that’s another post. I taught judo here and there - class at the college where I was a professor, a class at the local YMCA, a clinic at one of my friends’ clubs.

When we moved back to Los Angeles after my husband died, I married another good husband, had another baby, started a business, taught at a few different clubs, some of them for several years each. I held several offices in state and national organizations. I spent A LOT of time on the mat and on the road with Ronda helping her develop into a great judo player.

Unlike some of my friends to whom judo is like a religion - some even jokingly refer to going to judo tournaments on the weekend as “attending church” - I’ve kind of dropped in and out of judo my whole life.

Currently, I’m splitting my time between the US where I run a company that makes educational games (you should check one out) and Chile where I’ve just opened a company that makes educational games.
 Cajon del Maipo, Chile

I know plenty of people for who Judo is their exercise, their social life, their family time and their community volunteer efforts all in one. I’m not one of them. 


I could write a lot of posts - and I have - about all of the benefits I have gotten from judo and trying to give other kids those benefits is why I’ve taught fro so many years in so many different cities and states throughout my life.

Even holding all of those volunteer positions taught me a lot. I think I’m a much better manager thanks to the practice I got running things as a volunteer. ( I got to screw up some for free and now I make fewer mistakes with our investors' money.)

If you are one of those people that judo is your whole life and you’re happy with that, then I’m happy for you.

For some people, they have an abusive coach, unfair treatment by officials, a club full of cliques or other negative experiences and quit judo.

Most people quit judo to do something else, and that’s okay



Cerro de los condores, Chile

For me, though , and I think most people, it’s a matter of opportunity cost. In the last few years I’ve gone hiking in the Atacama desert, climbed a mountain and had condors fly within a few feet of me, gone horseback riding in Belize with a Maya guide as flocks of parrots flew overhead. You get the idea.
Sully's Hill, North Dakota


Tobago
Doing research in Belize, on a pyramid for Meet the Maya

Then, there is also the writing software and making one educational game after another , publishing scientific articles. Of course, that’s not just me. I know some people who were really good judo players and are now really good physicians or scientists.



I make games that teach math, in Spanish and English
I bring all of this up because I often hear people brag about having been doing judo for 30 or 40 years straight as if that somehow makes them better than other people. Not really the best idea if you want to get those former judo players who are the scientists or the business owners to give money to judo and bring their kids to learn judo if they get the attitude you think they are “quitters” and just not as good or tough as you.

One thing I’ve found in business is you’ll have more success if you honestly respect your customers, and potential customers.

I wonder if we treated quitting judo more like no longer playing for your college basketball team and less like no longer being a member of a church if we’d see more former judo players referring their friends and family.

I wonder , do many judo clubs have reunions? I’ve heard of one or two but it seems to be really rare.

To be honest , I probably wouldn’t go because I’d be in Santiago or Albuquerque or Grand Forks or somewhere when it happened but I still think it’s a good idea.



3 comments:

plam said...

We had a reunion here when a judo club closed. Got maybe hundreds of people on the mat. Certainly not a recurring thing.

I do think about opportunity cost. I certainly do things other than judo. Maybe if I had done more judo I could have been more successful (but maybe I didn't have the talent). Maybe I could be a more successful computer scientist if I did it more. But I like doing lots of things.

It is true that I have done judo for 30 years straight but it's never been the only thing I've done.

I was reading an interview with Nicolas Gill that came out today on the occasion of his induction into the IJF Hall of Fame and how he constantly was thinking of retiring after his 2nd Olympics. (it's in French though).

Anil Philip said...

I am an old beginner in Judo and I love it. My seven-year-old son and I learn Judo together as yellow belts. I worry about him getting injured in Judo when I look at all the knee and hip and shoulder replacements the Judokas end up with after 10-20 years of it. I wonder if it is because Judoka do the techniques only on one side. My head coach's adamant about doing it only on one side. What do you think?

Unknown said...

The injuries aren't due to only doing judo on one side, although I personally disagree with that idea. I do judo on both sides, right more than left, and have had a fair share of injuries. The factors involved in most injuries are: too big a disparity in size, too many people on the mat and bad facilities. For example, my knee was injured when the mats came apart and my foot got stuck. I was thrown from the knee up while my leg from the knee down was stuck )-: This idea of working out with people of all sizes is not very bright and many clubs still do it. It's one thing to practice with a black belt that is teaching you something, but having a 70lb kid and a 120lb kid fight is asking for injuries.