Thursday, January 17, 2013

What a combination is and is not

Wow, two posts in a row about throws  - this has to be a record!

This past weekend at the West Coast Judo Training Center we were covering set-ups and combinations. My biggest complaint about combinations is that most people do a half-ass throw followed by a real attempt at a throw. That's not a combination. That's asking to be countered.

You probably know this if you are reading this blog, but it is worth emphasizing. When you do your combination REALLY attack with that first throw.

Here is an example with Liam who is (I think) 11 years old. Maybe he's 12. Comment below if you know.




Notice something really interesting here? Not only did he do both throws with a pretty serious intent to throw, but he does the same throw twice.

Nothing says you can't do that as a combination. I thought it was rather clever.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is the kind of point my sensei makes very frequently. I have half assed attacked and paid for it. I did however make a breakthrough as a white belt. Let me know what you think? http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_USOzyW0FEE

Al B Here said...

I get the feeling your middle school students would put a serious beating on me... at least until it hits the ground. ;)

plam said...

Hey, I've been trying to do that o uchi. Mine needs more work.

Anonymous said...

Not only did he do both throws with a pretty serious intent to throw, but he does the same throw twice.

???
Isnt he trying an uchimata and then o-uchi?

Im not sure what the first sentence means.

Dr. AnnMaria said...

It looked like he was doing an o uchi twice to me. What the first sentence meant is that he was actually really trying to throw both times, not doing the first throw kind of half-ass as a set up