Sunday, February 1, 2015

What it really means to throw like a girl



The Superbowl commercial made me think of this picture.

Dennis made this for me when Ronda was about 14 years old. Yes, the person being thrown is me. I was having her work on her ko soto gari combination. I really liked this picture because as he took it, you can see that only her toe is touching the ground and she has turned her body to drive straight toward the mat, as you should in ko soto. Not getting that turn enough can be the difference between winning and losing.

He was trying out a new camera and some new graphics editing software, so he just happened to get this shot and put the text on it.

I don't know what happened to the original. It was on my desk for years. There was only one other copy and we gave that to a coach who asked for it when he saw the one I had.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Even when legitimate, degrees and credentials are an illusion. All they mean is that someone was able to go through a curriculum. That's it, monkey-see, monkey-do. I've known people who have taught themselves a subject by reading several "how-to" books and have greater competence than people with the highest credentials. Some people are just so intelligent, that their brains are too aware to be indoctrinated by a school system, so they have to teach themselves because they're often ostracized for not being a monkey brain.