Monday, August 8, 2016

Do Grandmas Need a Six-Pack?

I blame Jane Fonda.

I remember when she came out with her aerobics video looking all in shape and said,

"This is what 50 looks like."

I remember my grandmas when I was a kid and 50 looked nothing like that. My grandmothers wore house dresses, not leotards, and the only exercise they ever got was from ironing.

After flying from Los Angeles to North Dakota yesterday, I got up at 7 this morning (5 am Pacific Time), drove for an hour and a half to a meeting in New Town and after five hours of meetings, came back to the hotel, worked for another 2 hours, then I went hiking for half an hour.

I came back to the hotel, worked some more and then did another 30 sit ups because I thought walking for half an hour wasn't enough exercise.

All of which brought me back to the question -

Do grandmas really need a six-pack?

I'll be 58 years old on Monday. How old do I have to be before it is okay if I don't want to swim the English channel or run a marathon? People post in the comments on my blog about how serious training for masters competition is, how age is just a number.

Frankly, I think that 'age is only a number' idea is bullshit.

The reason I did sit ups is that my hand has been bothering me so much that I'm having surgery next week, so I can't do 30 push-ups like I usually do.

This is my second joint being reconstructed. (My knee was the first.) So, yeah, don't give me that age-is-only-a-number crap.

Now, I'm not saying that we should all just be sitting in rocking chairs, knitting and eating pizza.

 I think there should be a point after which it's okay to come back to the hotel after a 12-hour day and drink a glass of wine while watching Scared Straight and not feel as if it's mandatory to run 3 miles on the treadmill because "after all, the workout room is open 24 hours".

So, yeah, take it from me, You don't have to keep trying to set world records when you're 42. I'm going to be guilt-free while I drink my glass of 3 Blind Moose (I swear that is the house brand of Chardonnay at this hotel).

------------

Support my day job ! Buy Forgotten Trail  for $4.99  . Play it on your computer and get smarter.

http://sites.fastspring.com/7generation/product/forgottentrail


2 comments:

Unknown said...

I don't think setting world records is required over 40. But staying healthy is.
Kudos to you, I think what you're doing is great. My family has a friend in her mid 70's I believe, who loves to bike. And she'll bike 100km on the weekend just because. Doesn't race or anything, just wants to do what she loves.
I want to high five people when I see these examples.
Enjoy your wine!
Cheers.

dave schaeffer said...

Hahahaha. I was just saying this to a co-worker today. "Should I be like my dad was at 54? Or is it cool I'm getting a new mountain bike and wanting to be lighter to climb hills I'm probably going to eat crap on coming down?". Well, I did start Judo at 35, so I guess the answer is, why not?.